Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Green Tomato Salsa



A couple of good, good friends recently shared some of their garden surplus with me and I've been trying to figure out what to do with the green tomatoes they gave me.  Fried green tomatoes are the obvious choice, but I feel so guilty when I fry a perfectly healthy piece of fruit or vegetable.  And it's so blessed hot.  Heating up a big pan of oil in my already toasty kitchen just didn't appeal to me.  I googled green tomato recipes and discovered a number of recipes for green tomato salsa.  What an idea!  I read them all and then decided to just make my own.  I used what I had on hand- green tomatoes, red onion, pickled jalapenos, salt, pepper, sugar, and cumin.  Oh, and a little lemon juice as I am fresh out of limes.  I just threw it all in the food processor and gave it a few pulses.  The resulting salsa is delicious, healthy, and so pretty with it's vibrant green color!  Now I'll be wishing for more green tomatoes, I know.  So simple.  So good.  It tastes like summer.

No comments: